Recently a couple in Tauranga contacted me via email and asked me to do a commission based on this photo. The photo was taken in the 1970's (I think) on a family holiday to America. The photo was of their children on the log flume at Knott's berry farm. The finished painting is the top image. Having had a bit of distance from the painting, I have decided I am now okay with it. It was very hard to do. I think this was because of not having an emotional connection with the figures I was painting... so it was hard to capture their mannerisms. I really wanted it to be successful for the couple as well. They sent me a note saying it was just what they wanted.....I felt relieved. The painting certainly raised the 'ugly head' of philosophical debate about commissions again for me. Usually I don't like them during the process and am reluctant to take them on...but they really do make me think and work through ideas carefully in the planning stages. There is an element of creative discipline about them which is rewarding.
Sunday, January 23, 2011
Nice feed back on my classroom! Click here to read the article.
Recently Bruce Hammonds, an education consultant, visited my classroom. He wrote this article on his website. I was very flattered. Thank-you Bruce! High praise from a person whose opinions I highly value.
Wow! There has been a lack of blogging lately. It has been pretty intense the last 6 months. It was great being back teaching little tackers (7 and 8 year olds) and teaching the whole curriculum instead of just art. The lack of blogs reflect a lack of my own creative work as I threw myself into teaching and into sorting the farmlet out. Vege gardens are in... pony brought.... kiln brought.... studio nearly finished....
This year I am working two days a week teaching and spending the rest of the time developing the farm and studio. At times I think I am in heaven and at others times I wonder what the hell I am doing. Farmlet life has huge highs and lows-(for example, the first walnuts dropped today... way too early due to the wind and we think the dog mauled the neighbours chickens)...
At the end of last year I did a unit with my class called 'inside out'. It was great fun.... we took apart dead things (respectfully) and undertook all sorts of interesting studies. I loved the detailed drawings the students did of skeletons prior to the study (to record their prior Knowledge).