Thursday, January 7, 2010

Cousin Ju-Ju

















I love my cousin.  She is sparky and creative.  She is one of those people who make the world a better place.  Recently my great Aunt Peggy passed away. I took at photo at the wake of Ju-Ju and another relative.  The wake was about 5 hours drive from here. A  large family gathering of Irish descent... farewelling a much loved family member....I bet you can guess how the evening went!  Much laughter, drama and drinking and a lot of memories shared.   The energy and sorrow in the photo was amazing.  I have started a painting from that photo.  It is always tricky working from a photo.  I know I will never capture that moment in a painting.  But I wanted to try to capture some essence of the event.  The other figure wasn't working out...so I washed over it with a white acrylic wash.  I liked the effect ..ghostly.  The painting will go on to be completed but I took this photo to capture how it was before I continued.  I think there may be a painting to come where the figures are washed over and the painting is largely white with shadows of figures coming through.
The photos here show it in progress and just finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment