Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Playing with fire!


Last week I got the pottery 'support crew' (Suzanne and Cecily) here to help me through the first firing of my 'new' gas kiln. It is LPG gas and I find it a little scary. It is interesting how many potters get excited by flame and fire...but not me.  Any way we got her started and could almost hear her breathe a sigh of relief at being fired after so long.  She has been idle at our place for over a year and I think that prior to that she was idle for quite a while. Some of her firing records are from the 1980's. However she is an 'oldie' but a 'goodie'. She ramped up quietly and was easy to control till about 280 degrees. Then we discovered a gas leak. So sadly, we had to reluctantly shut her down with the work unbisqued. We are waiting for the gas fitter to come back sometime this week and fix the leak in the pipe. Then we will try again! For the record we took these photos of the work all loaded just before we lit her for the first time. Do I look 'beside myself' with fear? Because I was!



No comments:

Post a Comment