Monday, March 8, 2010

Chalk Madonna

Chalk is so rewarding to work with.  It makes you go fast and furious and not worry too much about the colours that you use.  I really enjoy the impermanence of it... the fact that it is dust.  This is a large work.  A2 size on black paper.  Also, there is something about the 'Madonna' images from Medieval times that has always interested me.  I am not sure that this is a particularly successful work.  But, as a drawing for fun, I enjoyed it.  I would like to do more work at a later date around the 'Madonna' theme.  Recently I started a collection of Madonna bits and bobs (figures, tee-shirts etc) and other religious items such as rosary beads.  I think it is the spirtual faith, conviction and intensity that was invested in these things that captures my imagination.

No comments:

Post a Comment